nuffnang ads

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wednesday 5 May 2010 - Treatment Day 126


I went for my 3rd high-dose Methotrexate (MTX) with mum, dad and jidda (dad's mum). I have to do 4 rounds altogether in 2 months.

High-dose Methotrexate is a long drip (Dr Lin also gives me MTX in the form of a spinal injection), so what the nurses do is get me started on the drip in the paediatric chemo daycare first, while I wait for a hospital room. It takes hours for a room to be ready. I have to be warded in hospital for a few days so that they can make sure I am ok and don't get ill from the high dose MTX.

I also had to starve from 7am today because I have to have a chemo injection in my spine (IT). Dr Lin puts me to sleep for that so I don't feel the pain as much. But it's still uncomfortable and sore when I wake up. And I hate going to sleep because I get bad dreams sometimes.

It was jidda's first time seeing me do my chemo. Dad went to work, and mum went out for a bit.

I didn't eat the whole day even after I woke up from the IT . Mum had packed me some animal-shaped pasta and my favourite bow-shaped (farfalle) pasta. I call them duck-feet pasta because I think they look like duck feet. They also look like butterflies sometimes. She'd also packed me loads of snacks like edamame, rice crackers, chocolate and cashew nuts. But I didn't eat any.

I screamed and cried as usual when they tried to insert a needle into my chemoport for the drip. It hurts when they prick my skin. I told the nurses I hated the new butterfly needle.

Mum gave me some organic rosemary and thyme crackers later at night, and a donut. I liked the crackers. I must've been really hungry because I gobbled everything up a bit too quickly. I got sick after all that, and the vomit dripped off the bed and onto the floor.

Mum couldn't find my new Cinderella crocs shoes after that. She asked me where they were but I said I didn't know. The nurses found it in paeds daycare the next day.

Blood count:
Haemoglobin 12.5 (Normal 13.0-18.0)
Platelets 354 (150-400)
Total white blood count 2.0 (4.0-11.0)
Neutrophils 23 (40-74)

No comments:

Post a Comment