nuffnang ads

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thursday 12 March 2010 - Treatment Day 71


I had my last dose of Ara-C for the week. There were only 2 kids in chemo today, including me. It was really quiet today. It was really noisy yesterday when chemo daycare was full. Mum told Dr Lin I'd taken 6-MP for 29 days already. I'm supposed to take it for 28 days. So he said I can stop taking it now. But he said I was doing really well.

Aunty Vanessa, whose daughter Sarah also has ALL, congratulated us for coming to the end of the 1st phase of our chemo. This is because I will be having my 2nd round of Cyclo tomorrow. It marks the end of the 1st phase. The next phase will start in 2 weeks time, after a break with no drugs. Cyclo is the 8-hour chemo, which I had for the first time about a month ago. I didn't react too well, and got an infection after that, and had to stay in hospital for 10 days.

Grandma had to go and see her doctor again today, so it was just me and mum. I wanted apple juice and snacks after we finished but after we bought those, mum suddenly realised she had run out of cash. This was because she had given money to grandma last night to pay some bills. She didn't have any money in the car either because dad had used it last night. So mum didn't have money to pay for the parking. So we had to cross the bridge to get to the ATM machine at the new wing. Unfortunately the machine was not working. So we had to cross a huge highway and a large drain to get to the nearest bank. I wasn't very happy and mum looked quite furious. I couldn't cross the drain but luckily a very nice old man who was walking past offered to carry me across.

After that ordeal, I felt hungry so I had a hotdog at the hospital before we left. Then I felt hungry again and I remembered seeing a Japanese restaurant next to the bank we went to, so I suddenly had a craving for Japanese. Seeing as it was past lunchtime, we had our late lunch at a Japanese place on our way back. Mum said it was ok because it was totally empty and there were no other people. Good thing too, because my neutrophils aren't very high at the moment. After that, I had waffles for dessert.

When we got home, I got upset because I suddenly remembered that mum said the nurses would need to take my needle out of my chemoport on Friday because I will be on a chemo break for two weeks. If they leave the needle in, mum says there'll be germs. I remembered that tomorrow is Friday. Mum tried to distract me. I made a mermaid doll with a doll-making kit after that. But I couldn't finish it because we couldn't find the double-sided sticky tape.



QOTD: "I don't want to do that again. That wasn't very nice. Crossing the big road, and crossing the drain. It's really dusty. There's lots of cars going very fast. You could get killed."

No comments:

Post a Comment