nuffnang ads

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wednesday 17 March 2010 - Treatment Day 77


My fever was completely gone today. So Dr Lin said I can go home tomorrow. Mum was pleased. But then she suddenly realised she needed to get the car washed before that. So she tried to find a 24-hour carwash, because she can only leave when dad comes in the evening after work.

Later, mum went to a parents support group in hospital while grandma came to babysit me. Some mums and dads of new patients and surviving cancer patients came to share their experiences. They discussed a lot of topics, including supplements, diet and whether it was safe to go to public places.
Nurse Lee, who works with Dr Lin, was there to answer questions about supplements and stuff. She said that some supplements and most traditional Chinese herbs can be toxic when they interact with the chemo drugs. These include ginseng, gingko, high doses of Vitamin E, fish oil, turmeric capsules and garlic capsules.
Later she told mum that Dr Lin didn't believe in supplements, even those that weren't dangerous to chemo patients. She said that only multivitamins are recommended, because they contain smaller doses of vitamins.

One of the parents said that perhaps it wasn't advisable to go out at all, in order to prevent infections, even to places that were not crowded. But Dr Lin had told mum that all his patients got infections whether they stayed at home or went out. The nurse later told mum that patients could get depressed if they just stayed at home throughout the entire treatment. I really hate staying at home all the time, I get so bored. I like to go out to the malls and restaurants and check out new stuff.

After that mum went out to get the car washed. She also had the aircon cleaned of fungus. She got me some new clothes and pyjamas while she waited for the car to be cleaned. She also got me a new monopoly game, it was a special Hannah Montana version.
I walked around a bit today to exercise my legs. Mum unplugged my drip which has all the antibiotics and antifungal and hydration. I looked out the window and saw Sunway Lagoon and Sunway Pyramid.

No comments:

Post a Comment