nuffnang ads

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Friday 16 April 2010 - Treatment Day 107


Today started off well. Meddina, my old friend from school came to visit today, with her mum, aunty Anita. Meddy goes to another school now. They brought a Mcdonald's Happy Meal for my lunch because I hate hospital food, and a toy chocolate fountain which I had wanted. They also brought some Dora sand art, so mum laid out a picnic rug and we did that on the floor. I also let Meddy watch my Alice in Wonderland dvd with me. Dad had bought it for me last week. Mum was worried it would be too scary for me, but I wasn't scared at all. I really like the movie and I watch it over and over again.
Dr Lin came in while we were having the picnic. He asked how I was doing. He always asks me how I am but I never reply. So mum said yesterday that I should answer him next time with a "Fine, thank you." I said I can say fine, but I didn't want to say thank you. So I did just that today. And he was surprised that I actually replied this time.
Anyway Dr Lin said he was waiting for my MTX level results while I have my 2nd dose of folinic acid rescue at 12.40pm. I'd already been given the 1st dose at 6.40am.
It turned out that my MTX level was even better than during the 1st MTX cycle. It was 0.24 at 12.55pm today. It was 0.34 the last cycle. It has to be below 0.4 before Dr Lin lets you go home. Mum said my runny nose was getting a bit worse so he gave me Atarax and Dexchlorpheniramine syrups to take home for the runny nose and cough.
He also asked if we still had some more of the folinic acid tablets he gave us to take home after the 1st high-dose MTX. Mum said she'd forgotten to tell him that she'd given me 2 of the folinic acid the last time after we went home because I had had a white spot like an ulcer on my mouth.
Dr Lin said ok, but he told mum to try and not to give it next time because it wasn't good for the leukaemia. The folinic acid reduces the chemo effect, and the chemo is meant to kill the cancer cells.

Mum was happy we could go home so quickly but I was a bit upset though because that meant the nurses had to take out my needle. That meant that they would have to poke it back in the next time I have chemo. So I cried and cried and cried.

This time I wouldn't let the nurses touch the bandage at my chemoport at all. I took off the whole bandage by myself. It took about over half an hour. I would have taken the needle out by myself too but the nurses said no, because I wasn't wearing gloves, plus I might injure myself. Mum said it's the nurses' job to do that. But I didn't want to let them take it out at all. The nurses said maybe mum had better hold me down but mum said I didn't like that at all.

I told mum that I didn't want this new needle next time I come for chemo again. It's a new design called a butterfly needle. It feels sharper than the old one which looks like a butchers meat-hook. This one looks prettier and has a yellow plastic cover but I hate it.



That's me sloooowwwly taking off my bandage, sticky tape bit by sticky tape bit. It hurts when you take the sticky tape off because it's basically been attached to me for 3 days.

Today's bill: RM6,002.65

QOTD: "I don't want to take the needle out. Because the next time I go to hospital, they will put it back in again. When I come again, I don't want the yellow butterfly needle."

No comments:

Post a Comment