nuffnang ads

Friday, February 12, 2010

Friday 12 February 2010 - Treatment Day 44


I told mum I wanted to go home today and I kept asking the nurses too everytime a different one came in to check on me. Then Dr Lin came in and when I asked him, he said "The answer is no." My fever still keeps going up and down so I have to be monitored in hospital. My temperature was 39.2 at 4am this morning. Dr Lin said I might need to be given a medicine called Bactrim to prevent pneumonia, which is when your lungs get infected by germs. Dad said pneumonia is very dangerous for anyone with leukaemia because their immunity is really low.

My blood counts are down, so I am really susceptible to infections. Dr Lin told me I don't have enough soldiers in my blood to fight the bad germs in my blood so I can't go home. But he says he's given me gunpowder to fight the germs, and we just have to wait until my blood can produce more soldiers.

He ordered a blood test to be done tomorrow, and if I have enough soldiers, then I can go home. Otherwise we may be in hospital for a while. I remember my friend Sarah being in hospital for 11 days when she had a fever in December.

Mum told him I was very upset at being in hospital on my birthday. Dr Lin and the nurses wished me a happy birthday and he told me that I have to be more mature now that I am older, and stop groaning every time he sees me. He tried to iron out the frown lines on my forehead with his fingers and tried to make me smile. But I wasn't very obliging.

Mum asked if the steristrip on my neck could be taken out now, as it's been a week since my op and Dr Lin had said the stitches would have healed after 7 days. He said yes. I wasn't very happy at all at the idea of having the steristrip taken off and started screaming. He said the ceiling will fall down. Mum made a nurse take it off for me. I didn't let her and the nurse didn't take it off at first but mum made her do it. The nurse said the whole hospital could hear me screaming.

I was upset since yesterday because I kept thinking about the party I'm supposed to have today. Mum had gotten the chocolate fountain ready and everything. I was worried my school friends would have the party without me so I called my principal Tok Mummy and told her that I will be having the party after I get better, so she musn't have the party today. She said of course, and she said that the whole school missed me loads. She said my friends had already brought presents for me and that she would try and send them over.
Aunty Carolina and my cousin Aliya came later, and they brought an entertainer as a special birthday present for me. My cousins Omar and Emma came too. The entertainer was really good, he made soooo many balloon sculptures for me -- ladybirds, flowers and flower bracelets, umbrellas, swords -- and he also performed magic tricks and he gave everyone lots of cool stuff. Aliya couldn't stay though, she started coughing when she came to see me, plus aunty Carolina had to leave to pick Aliya's sisters Janna and Monira up from nursery.
The entertainer's name is Richard Tong. He also made some balloons for Sarah, who has been staying on the 2nd floor since Sunday. She was doing a special 24-hour chemo on Sunday and kept being sick after that so Dr Lin didn't let her go home. She was really happy with her balloons.
I got 2 new cookbooks from Aliya and Janna and Monira, and Omar and Emma bought me a toy cake mixer and an ice cream sundae set.

I got a really bad headache after an hour and a half of the magic show and needed to take a nap so the entertainer left after that. We didn't get to cut the Mermaid Ariel cake that aunty Lina had helped to order for mum. But I woke up at night and was hungry so mum and I cut it together and I had some.
QOTD: "I want to go home."

No comments:

Post a Comment