nuffnang ads

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Monday 1 February 2010 - Treatment Day 34


I went to SDMC for my 8 hour Cyclo chemo today. It is an IV drip. Actually the Cyclo is just a small bottle and it doesn't take 8 hours but it is so toxic that the nurses need to give me lots and lots and lots of water or hydration before and after it, to protect my organs.
I had a blood test first. The first nurse put a needle in my right hand because I told her to put it in my right hand but she couldn't find a vein. It really hurt and I wasn't very happy at all. Another nurse had to do it, and this time they put it in my left hand. I was so anxious about the canula being put in that the nurses said my hands were sweating. And I never usually sweat much.
Mum said that it won't hurt as much when they put in the chemoport. I said I couldn't wait to try it.
My red cells were a bit low at 10.9 so I needed a blood transfusion as well as the chemo. Because it was a really long chemo, we had to go in really early today. We were one hour late and the nurses called us to see if we were on our way because the blood lab machine was not working and it would take an hour to read my blood test manually.
We came in at around 9.30am. I had pancakes for breakfast. Then I had some nasi lemak. I have never really eaten nasi lemak before but I just felt like eating it. I was extremely bored and grumpy by 11.00am and I told mum I wanted to go home. Dad bought me fish and chips for lunch.
Mum watched An American Tail with me, and then a bit of Pocahontas. I got really really impatient to go home after that. So she went to a Toys R Us at the Subang Parade shopping mall nearby and got me a new Polly Pocket set. I played with that for a bit.
Dr Lin said my bone marrow results were very good. He was also really pleased and slightly surprised with my blood counts which were all good except for the red cells. Mum was at Toys R Us so he spoke to dad.
Dr Lin also said today is my last day on Dexa for now, and I would start a new tablet called Mercaptopurine, or 6-MP, for a month. Mum or dad will need to cut a tablet into 4, because I have to take three quarters of a tablet every day. On Sundays I take one quarter.
Besides Cyclo, Dr Lin also gave me a new drug called Ara-C through my canula. I have to go to hospital every day from Monday through to Thursday for 4 weeks to have my Ara-C. I said I didn't want to go to hospital every day.
In the afternoon, the nurses said I had a low-grade fever so they stopped the blood transfusion before it was finished. They said I could be having an allergic reaction to the blood. They gave me paracetamol syrup which I never used to like to take. But now I'm so used to taking medicine, I took it quite easily.
I got hungry on the way back so I had KFC for dinner.
Later, mum went to a shop called Bebehaus in Bangsar Village. We really like Bangsar Village but we haven't been since I got ill. I like the Toys R Us and the bookshop. I also like a stall there that sells princess-y clothes. But mum doesn't like the princess-y clothes, she thinks they're too fancy. But I really like them. We also used to go to Bebehaus a lot when I was a baby, to get SLS-free shampoo and other stuff, when they only had a shop at 1Utama.
Mum ordered a new glass bottle for me, called Coddle Life. It looks like this:


It has a nice pink rubber sleeve around it too like the Life Factory WeeGo bottle she bought for me the other day. But this one is a wide bottle, like my previous Avent ones. The WeeGo is a standard size bottle.
I didn't really like the MAM bottle, it takes too much hard work to get the milk. I really have to squeeze the teats hard to suck the milk out. I told mum I didn't want to drink like that.
Mum says she prefers glass anyway. Mum says I should really use big girls' cups by now, but I really enjoy bottles too much. So she still lets me use them.
Weight: 18.2kg
Blood count:
Red cells 10.9 (13.0-18.0)
Platelets 389 (150-400)
Neutrophils 63 (40-74)
Today's bill: RM2,157.79

No comments:

Post a Comment