nuffnang ads

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Tuesday 2 February 2010 - Treatment Day 35


I went to hospital again to get my Ara-C. The nurses had let me keep my canula yesterday so I was really pleased.


I had cheese sandwiches for breakfast before we left the house. We got to hospital at around 11am and I told mum and grandma that I just wanted to say hello to the nurses and then go home straightaway.


I got really bored so I looked at a cookie recipe book while I waited for Dr Lin. The nurses looked at it too. Mum told them I was really into cookbooks nowadays. I told mum I wanted to make ice cream cookies when we got home. She said I can make them with grandma, because she has to work on her computer when we get home. I asked if we had all the ingredients at home. She had a look at the recipe and said yes.


Dr Lin came in at 12.30pm. He said the ice cream cookies picture in the book looked really interesting. He asked if I could make some for him. I didn't reply. I made some grumbly noises. He smiled and said I'm always grumbling. He asked mum if I was always like this. She said no, and that I was a really bright and happy and cheerful girl before I became ill. She said my face had puffed up a lot too, and he said it was due to the Dexa and that it would go away now that I'm not taking it anymore.


Mum asked him if he could check my legs. I've been having difficulty walking lately. I can go down the stairs at home but I have to crawl on my hands and knees to go back upstairs. I also fell a few times yesterday after going home from hospital.
He asked mum when she started noticing it. She said she wasn't sure but maybe since I got ill. It actually started after I began the chemo. He said maybe I need more exercise because I've been doing nothing but sitting on the sofa or lying in bed for a month. He checked my reflexes and said that I had no knee reflex but I still had my ankle reflex. He made me walk a bit in the ward and do one or two squats. I could walk ok but I couldn't get up from the squats without needing help.
He said neurological problems are some of the side effects of the Vincristine drug. He made me an appointment to see a neurologist. He said the effect is temporary but he might reduce the dosage in the next chemo cycle when I need to be given Vincristine again.
Tomorrow I'll finally be meeting Dr Goon, the surgeon who will be inserting my chemoport for me. I really have had enough of needles.
My lips bled a lot today due to the chemo, and I was rather anxious while waiting at the hospital for Dr Lin so I chewed all my fingers. I still chewed on them at home until they bled and stained my t-shirt. Grandma bought me a few new lip balms from Body Shop and mum wrapped up all my fingers in plasters.
I was really tired today so I went to bed at 6pm. I fell asleep in my room. I normally don't like to sleep in my room much. But grandma said she'll sleep there with me, so I didn't mind.
I woke up later around 9pm or 10pm and asked for some spaghetti.
QOTD: "When we get to the hospital, I just want to talk for five minutes, and then I want to go home. I want to go home at 11 o'clock."

No comments:

Post a Comment