nuffnang ads

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Friday 5 February 2010 - Treatment Day 38

That's me, being wheeled to the Operating Theatre to have my chemoport put in. Dr Goon makes an incision in my chest, and another one in my neck. It is done under a general anaesthetic so I won't feel a thing. The port sits just under my collarbone on the right side of my chest. The op takes about an hour and a bit. I was really hungry because I couldn't eat anything after 3am. I was a bit nervous but mum and dad were with me.

You can read a bit more on chemoports or portacaths here:
http://www.sir.net.au/portacath_pi.html

Mum and dad had to wait in the waiting room while I had my op. Dad had breakfast while mum worked on her computer. The Internet was a bit slow though. Mum said she was also a little stressed because another family who were waiting there had a dad whose lungs had collapsed and he had to be put on a ventilator and the family were crying and praying. She was relieved when I came out of the OT.

I was alright and it didn't really hurt but I cried a lot because I wanted to go home straight away. But Dr Goon said to lie down until 3pm. The nurse gave me a cup of Ribena to sip but I was really thirsty so I gulped it all down. Then I asked for some chocolate. Mum gave me another new Polly Pocket toy to play with while she went and bought some chocolate. It was the first time I had asked for chocolate since I became ill. I ate it all up.

After we left, I felt fine but I was still hungry. I wanted to eat Japanese so dad took me to a Japanese restaurant for a late lunch. I had tempura and rice.

When we got home, I didn't feel like sleeping, so I played with my Wii.

Later on, aunty Sharon and aunty Eileen (mum's friends) came by to visit, but I was already asleep. Aunt Sharon brought me lots of new cookbooks for me to try out. Aunt Eileen helped mum to buy me a new Coddlelife glass milk bottle and some Earth Mama Angel Baby SLS-free shampoo. She also bought a new activity book+CD for me, and some new DVDs -- Ponyo, Mulan, Enchanted and The Wizards of Waverley Place.

No comments:

Post a Comment