nuffnang ads

Friday, February 12, 2010

Thursday 11 February 2010 - Treatment Day 43


I had a very high fever last night of 38.9. Mum gave me paracetamol and sponged me down with tepid water for an hour and it went down to 37.5. It went down further to 37.1 after that. The nurses had told us before that if I have a temperature of 38, I have to be taken to hospital immediately. But I think dad forgot.

Mum took me to hospital in the morning. It's my birthday and I wasn't very happy to go to hospital at all. Mum put her packed suitcase, which she always has on standby, into the car, just in case we get admitted. Mum said there were three kids with a fever/cold/flu last week in chemo daycare so she thinks I may have gotten it from one of them.

She said it was ironic that she goes to bed at 3am sanitising the whole house twice a day every day but in the end I might have gotten sick in hospital. Grandma said it might also have been from the malls.

I had scrambled eggs for breakfast before leaving the house. When we got to chemo daycare, the nurses said we should come in immediately next time if my temperature hits 38. They took blood for a blood test, and also a blood culture test to see whether I have a bacterial or fungal infection. But the results will only be known after 3 days.

The nurses called Dr Lin first to ask whether I should be admitted and he said yes. I was really unhappy, because I'm supposed to have a small party at school tomorrow with my friends.



Grandma made friends with one of the mums who went out and bought roti canai for her son and for me. Dr Lin came in really late at 1.30pm today, so I spent the whole morning playing with my DS Lite. I also listened to my Spanish and French CDs.



My red cells were low so I needed a top-up. Dr Lin also gave me two antibiotics called Meronem and Amikacin, and some hydration. They were given through an IV into my chemoport.



Aunty Lina came to pick up grandma, and she brought me nasi lemak and McD for a late lunch.



After I got settled into my room, aunty Ida (mum's friend) came to visit. She bought me the ELC Rock Star Guitar that I told mum I'd wanted. I was really happy. She also brought lots and lots of sushi for us and she had even ordered pizza delivery. It was like a real party.



Blood count:

Red cells 9.3 (13.0-18.0)
Platelets 135 (150-400)
Neutrophils 35 (40-74)

QOTD: "I want to go home. Right after this bag of hydration is finished."

No comments:

Post a Comment