nuffnang ads

Friday, January 29, 2010

Thursday 28 January 2010 - Treatment Day 30



I went to hospital today, to do a 4th bone marrow biopsy, along with the aspa injection into my leg muscle. Dr Lin says this bone marrow test is very important. It will tell him how I've been responding to treatment and whether I fall into standard risk ALL, intermediate risk or high risk. If it is intermediate or high risk, the treatment will be different. He says he can't see anymore cancer cells with his naked eye but a microscope might be able to show cells which are hiding.

I didn't really want to go to hospital. I thought I only go on Tuesdays and Fridays so I wasn't ready to go today. I told mum I didn't want to sleep, or have an injection or anything. She said she would tell the nurses and Dr Lin.

Mum said I had to stop eating at 7am today because of the mini op. I had milk at 6.45am but I was really hungry after that. Dr Lin only came at 1.30pm instead of 12.30pm. If he isn't busy, sometimes he even comes in at 10 or 11am. The nurses said he had an emergency at the wards today.

In the meantime, mum and I read a book by Enid Blyton together. Dad read Princess and the Frog with me. I also watched the Princess and the Frog DVD while waiting. Dad had bought it for me last night.

My friend Sarah was having a blood transfusion, her red cells were low, at around 9. Two other babies were waiting for Dr Lin too, and they were really hungry and upset by the time he came in. When he came in, he was greeted by lots of angry screaming and crying children. He said "I wish I can cut myself into two."

He did a bone marrow test on one baby, and then he disappeared. I shouted very loudly that it was my turn now and that I only wanted it to be a short while. Then he came back and smiled and said I was really grouchy again today. I said I didn't want to sleep and he smiled. The nurses put something into my canula and I screamed I didn't want to sleep.

After I woke up, I had a McD Filet-o-fish and fries. Sarah was eating potato chips earlier, so I asked for those too. Mum went to the pharmacy at SDMC and there were a lot of BPA-free bottles, so she got one for me.

Dr Lin said I will come back on Monday for the 8-hour Cyclo chemo. He told mum that I will also have a chemo-port fitted soon. The chemo port will be put in my chest and nurses will just use it to take my blood or give me my medicine. I won't need a canula put in my hand every time now. I don't like having a canula put in my hand. It hurts. Dr Lin said I can swim with the chemo port.

On the way back, I said I wanted spaghetti from Lake Club, so dad decided we could go there. I had spaghetti, more fries and rice. Then we went home.

Dad bought mum chili crabs and butter prawns for her dinner. It was her birthday today. But she said she didn't feel like celebrating it.

Blood count:
Red cells 11.2 (13.0-18.0)
Platelets 53 (150-400)
Neutrophils 70 (40-74)

Today's bill: RM3,796.04

QOTD: "I don't want to sleep. I don't want injections. I want potato chips."

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zara! I'm sorry you have to have so many injections, and that it takes so long to do everything. It sounds very boring but I think you're being really patient and good about it.

    I hope everything goes well with the biopsy and I'll be crossing my fingers for you.

    xx Auntie Elisia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Zara! Wow, I loved reading this post and I'm so glad you're having a blast eating so many different types of food amid all your treatment, what a brave little girl you are.

    I have a great recipe for fried chicken which, believe it or not, doesn't involve any deep frying and the crust has some nice yummy Nestum in it. I shall ring your mummy up and ask her when I can bring some over okay hon? I'm a HUGE fan of fried chicken myself but unfortunately, can't have as many as I'd like to *wink, wink*

    I wonder with all the cook books you're reading if you'll turn out to be quite a great cook someday!

    Love and kisses,
    Aunty Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~Hi aunty Elisia,
    Yes I hate all the injections and needles, they really hurt! Plus I hate being in hospital for so long, I just want to go home quickly. Thanks for thinking of me xx



    ~Hi aunty Ivy,
    I am enjoying my food a lot more now, I never used to like to eat at all! Yum, I love fried chicken. Can't wait to try yours, aunt Ivy. Sounds yummy. Maybe you could teach mum and dad how to make it for me too. I told them I want to be a chef now when I grow up.
    xo

    ReplyDelete